Fandom Artist: somebody who is artistically inspired by, and therefore creates, art for a fandom. Or as Misha Collins once put it: “Using the (fandom) as a canvas.”
Today’s spotlight is on Tumblr fan artists for fandoms that I am in. If you’d like a more expansive, fandom-inclusive selection of art, I highly suggest this Buzzfeed article. None of the art is mine, and full credit and appreciation go to the artists. In these artist ‘portfolios’, I’ve put a brief summary of their art styles, fandoms they’re in, and a few samples of their work. Note: I use the abbreviation OC a lot in here, and in case you didn’t know, it stands for ‘Original Character’.
Without further ado, here are 5 of my favourite fandom artists!
- Linneart: Simple, memorable art style with strong, confident lines and colouring. Linnea’s work is composed of sketches of characters, OC’s, and real people, as well as short & long comics, art for fanfictions, and an original comic called Dissent. She also has some tutorials and tips on how to draw characters.
Fandoms: Supernatural, OC’s, Throne of Glass, the Captive Prince, The Mortal Instruments, Miraculous Ladybug, Adventure Time, commissions, and more.
(Note: if you’re a Destiel shipper, check out her Destiel comic- it’s amazing!)
2. Amanda Tolleson: Her style is mostly hyper-realistic portraits– the detail is amazing!
Fandoms: Supernatural, Sherlock, Doctor Who, Star Wars, Star Trek, The Walking Dead, Lord of the Rings, commissions, and more.
3. Taratjah: Simple style, similar to Linneart’s in some aspects. Her favourite piece of mine is an illustrated song for Cassandra Clare’s The Infernal Devices YA novel series. It gave me literal chills. Please please PLEASE do yourself a favour and check it out!
Fandoms: The Infernal Devices, The Mortal Instruments, The Dark Artifices, Throne of Glass, the Lunar Chronicles, Miraculous Ladybug, Percy Jackson (& Heroes of Olympus), and more.
4. Maddox-Rider: She works in a cute, simplistic style that has chibi and realistically proportioned works. This artist creates electronically (art & GIFs) and on paper. The Phandom has her to thank for lots of the most-beloved phanart on the entire internet.
Fandoms: Dan & Phil, Fall Out Boy, Haikyuu, Twenty One Pilots and more.
(Note: The cover image for this blog post- the one at the very top- is a collage of 3 of Maddox’s works)
5. The Silver Eye : Laura Hollingsworth’s style is absolutely stunning; digital art with details that bring the drawings to life (think luminescent eyes, carefully textured hair, perfect lighting, surprisingly beautiful backdrops). She creates fan art, has her own web comic called The Silver Eye, and also dabbles in traditional art and photography. There is also a very helpful Tutorial page on her Tumblr which teaches you how to do all sorts of digital drawing.
Fandoms: Percy Jackson, Lunar Chronicles, OC’s, and more.
(Note: For Percabeth shippers, she has a comic called Long Way Down. Prepare for lots of feels.)
This was really fun.
Looking through art, choosing my favourite pieces; it was an exciting process. Does getting excited about online art make me a lame person? Oh well.
If you enjoyed looking through these fantabulous pieces of art, please follow me or like this blog post- I’d super appreciate it! If you’ve been here for all 5 weeks of this blog’s existence, THANK YOU SO MUCH for sticking with me! And if this is the first blog post of mine you’re reading and you like what you see, here is last week’s post ‘Pet Peeves in Books‘ and my About Page. Questions and feedback and miscellaneous facts can all be put in the comments!
Who is your favourite artist? (It doesn’t have to be specifically a fandom or online artist.) Feel free to tell me in the comments!
Thank you so much for reading!